Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is "forever" enough time to experience enough life?


Day four4… ….made to last forever…

Honestly, I don’t feel like I’m made to last forever. I feel like I’m moving toward an end of some sort. In essence, I am moving toward an end . Its like I have six more years in Houston and then I’m moving to Dubai. Life hasn’t ended all together, but life in Houston has reached its terminus, as well as everything I knew there. Anything that requires completion in Houston has a deadline; it has an end. And yet… on the tail of this end is a new beginning; Dubai and everything that comes with it!

So…I know that Dubai is inevitable, for I cannot stay in Houston past the time approved. Nevertheless, there is so much to do here! There is school to finish, and the business I want to start. There is that piece of land that I want to buy, and the house I’ve already designed for it. And then there are friends and family, food and fun. When I think of all the things that I want to experience in Houston, all the adventures I want to go on, all the things I want to learn, and all the mountains I want to conquer, I am a bit disappointed. There will never be enough lifetimes to experience enough life…at least not in Houston.

Can I not experience life entirely? When I come to the end of my time in Houston, I will have to say, “It wasn’t enough…”

“But,” you say, “there’s still hope! The banana peels and coffee beans you leave behind shall stay right where they lay, but you…you’re going on to Dubai!”

“Well so I am!” I say. “But oh, I will have the same predicament in Dubai! There will be so much life and learning and love and laughter to experience… so much more than even in Houston. And I shall still not have enough…for a hundred lifetimes could not fill me up!”

“A hundred lifetimes no! But you shall have more! For you were made to last forever!”

For us this is the end of all the stories…But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world…had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth has read, which goes on forever and in which every chapter is better than the one before.
- C. S. Lewis in Chronicles of Narnia


The “end of all the stories” is in Houston. But in Dubai the Great Story has only begun, and “every chapter is better than the one before.”

If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
- Colossians 3:1-4 nkjv


The treasures in Houston are beyond attaining. No one could ever experience everything Houston has to offer. And yet, the treasures in Dubai are incomparably greater.

…but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- Matthew 6:20-21 nkjv

No comments:

Post a Comment